Last week’s post reminded me that I have not posted about a another four pane glass project that I created for my sewing room. This project was ultimately inspired by two different items.
The first was an image of flowers that I saw when looking for ideas to embellish for one of my landscape quilts. The image was a collection of four canvases each with a white daisy painted on a different colored background. I really liked this and thought it would make a good glass project. However, since I had just finished my four seasons tree (shown at the end of my previous post), I wanted to try something other than four panels side by side.
About that same time, I received a birthday card from a friend. This card had only part of a daisy printed on it. This gave me inspiration for how to display my daisy idea – four corners in different colors.
I found a four section frame at Michael’s that looked like a window. After purchasing it, I removed the hardware and spray painted it white.
Since the leaves were green and the center of the daisy was yellow, I decided to use the other colors of the rainbow for the background (orange, purple, red and blue). Originally I was considering hanging the project in a window, so the background glass is transparent. When the project was finished, I realized that it would look better hung on the wall. The transparent glass still looked really nice even though no light is shining through it. Maybe someday I will add some back lighting to it.
For each background, I cut two pieces of glass the size of the individual window pane – one piece of clear glass and one piece of colored transparent glass. These were fused together using a Full Fuse schedule.
The daisy petals were cut from white opaque glass. To add texture to the center of each petal, I sprinkled almond colored opaque glass fine frit down the center of each petal. The petals were Heat Polished (maximum temperature 1300) to round the edges.
The leaves were cut from Uroboros glass – Oasis Green on Dark Green. Each leaf was scored with a curve near the middle and split into two halves. The resulting pieces were then Heat Polished.
One set of leaf pieces and three daisy petals were placed on each background and Contour Fused. The center of each daisy was Tack fused and each pane was secured to the frame with E6000 adhesive. Due to the size of project, each color pane required four separate fusings for a total of sixteen kiln cycles.
Very colorful addition to the wall of my sewing room!