Last summer, my third son moved into a new apartment. Prior to that, he had been renting a furnished room in a brownstone house in Brooklyn. With this change, he needed to purchase some furniture, especially a bed.
Since I really enjoy designing new quilts, I asked him what he would like for a custom quilt for his new bed. When expressing his ideas, he said he wanted a quilt that was not traditional block based, but rather something that was more flowing and organic. I suggested that he try to find an image of what he was thinking and asked that when he found something that he send it to me.
A few days later, I received an email with an image attached. The image was a topographical map of a section of the moon. This was going to be a challenge – designing a quilt to represent this image!
After thinking about this challenge, I settled upon a modified bargello design. To help create that quilt, I printed out a copy of the map overlaid with graph lines.
The sewing of the quilt was probably one of the most difficult quilts I have made. While there were no Y-seams, inlaid areas, or applique, the challenge was keeping the transition of eleven different fabric, ranging from medium grey to deep black, straight. There were numerous times when I thought to myself “I must be crazy”.
However, once the quilt was finished, I was very happy with the result.
Embracing my son’s desire for a more “organic” design, I decided to do free motion quilting connecting each fabric along the topographical lines.
The thread for the top of the quilt was grey 50 wt cotton following the topography, and black 100 wt silk crosshatching on the black background. The thread for the back of the quilt was rose colored 50 wt cotton ( to mimic the topography lines of the original image) and grey 100 wt silk.
This is certainly a one of a kind quilt !