With fall weather settling, a week ago, I decided to make a new table runner for my kitchen. This runner was made with apples to depict the bounty of the fall harvest. The runner turned out really nice.
After it was done, I realized that the center section could be used as a checkerboard. All I needed was some checkers.
Originally I thought about purchasing some apple shaped wooden pieces that could be painted. However, when I looked at the options available at the local craft stores, I thought I would need to do some carving of a crown on one side. This, to me, seemed like a lot of work. Then I thought about engraving a crown. This also seemed like a lot of work.
One day, while I was at work, I had a great idea – I could print checkers on my 3D printer. Using Tinkercad, I designed some apples that could be printed. I did try to make the checkers interlock so that they could be stacked for designating a King. This, however, did not turn out well. So, I went back to Tinkercad and designed an indent on one side of the checker that showed a crown. Problem solved.
Having extra fabric, I decided to make a second table runner/checkerboard. This one, I have posted on Etsy. Hopefully someone will like this item.
I enjoy reading historical fiction books. When reading, I like to look up information about the events happening at the specific time in history. This helps me understand the book’s story line better.
I enjoy these books even more when there is a reference to the art of the era. Having recently I read the latest book by Jennifer Chiaverini, I did some additional reading about the history of quilting.
One of the sources talked about Depression Era quilts. Many of these quilts were string quilts made of small fabric scraps stitched together to make a piece of fabric large enough to cut a pattern piece. These larger pieces were stitched together to make a quilt block. The quilt blocks were put together to make a quilt top. This method was used during hard times when money and fabric were scarce. Scraps of all sizes were utilized.
Over the past decade, this method has also made a resurgence within the art quilt community.
There were several pictures of a string quilts that have caught my attention.
One of the quilters that I really liked was Ursula Kern. Her string quilts are breathtaking. The illusion of movement and shape that she creates is absolutely amazing.
I decided that I wanted to try to make a string quilt wall hanging for my sewing room. With wall space limited, the only spot I had left to hang something was adjacent to my four seasons landscape quilt. So, in keeping the the landscape theme, I thought a tree might fit the area well.
Looking at tree clipart images, I selected one, traced it out on pellon, and then divided the pellon into a 7×11 grid. Each section of the grid (2″ x 3.75″) was used as one block of the string quilting.
Since I have a lot a scraps from various other quilts, and not wanting to purchase more fabric right now, I pulled out my scraps, sorted them by color and started creating each of the blocks.
The seventy seven blocks were sewn together (with numerous changes to match my design better). The illusion is somewhat like a stained glass window – I really like it!
For the quilting, I used one layer of Quilter’s Dream Cotton batting. To create texture for the tree and shrubs, I placed pieces of Quilter’s Dream Wool batting in these areas between the cotton batting and the pieced top. The background sky was quilted with straight lines and the tree was loosely quilted to allow the depth of the batting to show.
What a difference a week makes!
Last Sunday, I was in Arizona visiting my parents. With a high temperature was 102 degrees, I was wearing a skort, sleeveless shirt and sandals.
Today, back in Minnesota, the temperature is 51 degrees. I am wearing a sleeveless shirt this week, it’s just accompanied by a sweater, slacks and warm socks.
My week off of work started by spending a few days with my parents. Having recently relocated to a new retirement community, I went to Arizona to see how they were doing. Glencroft Retirement has many nice features – fountains, library, exercise room, etc.
After spending a few days with my parents, I returned midweek to Minnesota.
The later part of my week was spent on fall yard projects. After picking apples, I spent countless hours making applesauce and dehydrated apple slices – 36 cups of apple chips and 39 pints of applesauce!
I also cleaned up some of my flower beds and planted about 400 bulbs for spring flowers. It will be nice to see how things grow!
I guess it’s back to work tomorrow 😒.
After a couple rainy weeks, the weather has dried out and we are having a lovely weekend. Today, I spent a few hours outside adding bulbs to my flower gardens. I even put some in planter inserts that fit inside the copper planters at my front door. It will be nice to see what sprouts in the spring.
In anticipation of the arrival of cooler weather, I have been working on a new bed runner. Since I really love flowers, sunflowers runner would be nice.
Using my Bernina Cutwork Tool, I cut seventy-two oval from hand-dyed fabrics, 12 leaves and six center from green and brown scraps of fabric.
Since the sunflowers are mainly yellow, I decided to add color in a scrappy border for the runner.
And, a pillow with a scrap piping to add an accent!