When I was first married, we spent many Sunday afternoons with my husband’s great-aunt Maude. She was a fabulous cook and I acquired many recipes from her. One of these recipes was a Pecan Cookie Pie Crust, usually made with a peach pie filling.
Aunt Maude’s Pecan Pie Crust
1/2 cup Crisco shortening
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup ground pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cream together shortening, butter and sugar.
3. Sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder.
4. Combine creamed mixture with dry ingredients and ground pecans.
Dough will be crumbly.
5. Chill dough for 30 minutes.
5. Press dough into pie plate and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and cool completely.
7. Fill with cream filling or prepared peach pie filling.
Tomorrow, September 21st, is National Pecan Cookie Day. So, to celebrate, I decided to adjust Aunt Maude’s recipe, just a bit, to make a fruit pizza. I made a half batch of the crust recipe and pressed the dough into a 10 inch circle prior to baking. After cooling, I spread the crust with 2 ounces of softened cream cheese. This was topped with sliced peaches. For a drizzle, I heated 2 Tbs peach jelly and mixed this with 2 Tbs Powdered Sugar.